Friday, September 19, 2008

Princes don't grow on Trees

I remember the first time I met Josh. I remember it because it was the first time I'd ever seen that look in Christina's eyes. It was a look of pure adoration. After he left, she confessed to me, "I really like him, mom". That was 6 years ago and "like" turned to "love" without much coaxing. She had never before, or has never since been able to give her heart to anyone else. So it didn't matter that it took 6 years, he owns her heart.
We were thrilled when she knocked on our bedroom door early one Sunday morning and sweetly told us that she and Josh were getting married. I have honestly never seen her look so happy.
Christina has always been this quiet, steady, dependable emotional rock for me. She instinctively senses what I need and has stood ready to give her love and support. As I laid in my hospital room after having back surgery, I was scared and hurting and drugged. I looked over to see who was at my bedside rubbing my hand. It was Christina. Softly stroking, with that sweet smile that conveyed absolute devotion. I woke several hours later and looked over to see my hand still in hers.
She has never demanded her slice of attention, preferring to take a backseat to some of her of her siblings that were more comfortable entertaining the crowd. I watched some old home movies the other day. I observed her standing in the background, watching some of the antics of her siblings. She was laughing but too shy too participate. I wanted to scoop up that little girl on the TV screen into my arms and tell her how much she means to me and what a priviledge it is to be her mom. I wanted to bring her into the middle of all the fun and say "Don't forget about her. Just because she's shy and quiet and won't compete for attention, don't forget to give her her some." The ironic thing is that when she does finally get a word in edge wise, she's freaking hilarious.
She has taught me so many things. Because of her I desire to be kinder because she has taught me the value of kindness. I want to love more deeply and show it with more devotion because she has touched me with her example. She has taught me to look for the quiet voices in the crowd and discover all that they have to offer.
I am so excited for her and Josh and their future together. They love to be together and enjoy and appreciate each other. Josh understands Christina, because he too is exemplary in his desire to be kind and serve those around him. He is not one who seeks attention but willingly gives to those who need him with no compuction and no expectation to get back anything in return. I feel like it is such a priviledge to have him as part of our lives. He truly is a noble man. Life just keeps getting better...I think there's someone I need to thank for that and believe me, I do, everyday, on my knees, I let Him know how blest I feel, because princes don't grow on trees and yet my daughters have each managed to find one.

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love her. She brings a smile to my face every time and talk to her or see her. You put it perfectly Cathy, Tina is amazing. We couldn't be more happy for her.

Judy said...

Hmmm, that one brought on the tears, well said. We love her, too. We pray her prince will be worthy of her. She a beautiful person.

HappyHulets said...

Love you so very much Christina and am sooooo excited for you! I just want to scoop you up too, ha, ha, because you are so awesome! I think my voice might still be hourse from screaming when I heard your news, hope your ears are okay!
Much love, Jen

Stormie said...

Amen to that, Cathy. Amen.

Darcee said...

Congrats to you all! Another happy occasion to celebrate and fortunately you guys are great at that!

Jill said...

Being one of the siblings that steals the show from Christina, I know I appreciate too how willing she is to laugh at my jokes, watch my kids, hold my hand, and listen to me whine. But inside that good and kind, shy person, there is also a person that loves to make everyone else squirm by giving them the most sexy items at every bridal shower. And all I have to say to her on that is, karma.

Danni said...

I agree with Judy, your beautiful words made me tear up a bit! We are so excited for Christina!

Nicole said...

I don't know if it could be put any more perfectly. We love Tina. She is amazing. She deserves all the happiness in the world. I wish I could be there to help plan!!!!

tawnya hood said...

Congratulations Cathy! You are a wonderful mother as well- that is why you have such wonderful daughters- I learned that from the short amount of time I spent with your family!

I wish her much happiness.