Monday, July 14, 2008

Happy Birthday Ben-jo-man

I'm glad I have an excuse to write a tribute to my youngest son. Today is his birthday. I have a picture of him when he was about 18 months old peeling an orange.


He was pretty determined to get at the flesh of that orange and he was not about to let something little like a bit of peel get in his way. I didn't know at the time how much of a foreshadowing that picture would be of his personality. Obstacles, have only been minor inconveniences to him. He approaches everything he does with a can do attitude. When he applied to get into the accounting program at BYU he didn't get accepted so he wrote them a letter. Still no postive results, so the next letter went to someone alittle higher up. The end result of the letters and phone calls was an admittance into the program. He graduated with a masters in accounting from BYU. He bought a CRAPPY old house and asked me where he should start with the renovations (my first thought was a MATCH!) I told him the windows, so the next thing I knew he was punching out windows. I asked him if he knew how to replace the old one with a new one? He said, "No but I'm sure I can figure it out." You should see that piece of crap house now! It's beautiful. Granite counter tops, new laundry room, porch, floors, stonework, windows, tile, light fixtures, etc.
I'm just so dang proud of that kid. He always sends me mother's day and birthday cards, which I appreciate, but he also sends them to my mom, which I think is extraordinary. He has a great capacity to feel and express gratitude and is one of the only guys I know to always send a Thank you card. I keep those cards because they mean a lot to me and they remind me of what an exceptional young man I have as a son.
We have developed quite a friendship as he has turned to me during the rough times the past few years. It's wonderful to see him so happy now. He has found someone who truly stands by his side and supports and loves him with her whole heart. She also gets his sense of humor so that's a BIG plus.
and when I think of him I just feel this tremendous feeling of love and pride and gratitude that the Lord would bless me with such an amazing man to be my son.

8 comments:

Darcee said...

So sweet! A good son is a tribute to a good mom! :)

Stephanie said...

I love him a lot.

Jill said...

Ben is not only a terribly good looking guy, he is a hard worker, a hilarious Balderdash player, and loves Avery as much as any uncle has ever loved a niece. He is great. Happy birthday BJ!

Benjamin said...

Thank you Mother. I haven't had time to check blogs lately, so sorry this came so late. I really appreciate you and your wonderful qualities too. See you tomorrow!

DPies said...

Can you feel the love? Ben is a great guy! Apple doesn't fall far from the tree! Happy birthday Benny!

Benjamin said...

Thanks again mom. Just reading it again today.

Stormie said...

too precious.

Big Bad Brett said...

I find it interesting that his great bum was left out of all the comments so far. So leave it to me to show what is truly important in the end. (pun?)