Monday, January 5, 2009

There's no Place Like Home for the Holidays

Barry and I have been anticipating this Christmas for a long time. All of our family was together, that being quite a fete since we are spread out across the country. Christmas is different with adult children. The privilege and excitement of being together supersedes the gift giving and I enjoyed watching the kids enjoy each other. We tried to scale down Christmas this year. Nobody seemed to notice. The gift part just seemed secondary. However, when I was handed a gift that turned out to be a DVD in which every one of my photo album's contents were scanned, over 5500 pictures, I couldn't stop the tears. The hours of sacrifice that were involved in the making of the gift still stuns me. Thanks Jill! What a thoughtful, selfless thing to do.
It's amazing how much the addition of new family members adds to the fun. I LOVE the people my kids chose to marry. Each in their own way has enriched our lives immensely, not to mention the GRAND KIDS! Man, I'm nuts about them. Now, as I return to the routine, there is a sweetness that lingers. The toy truck in the pantry (Braxton and Logan both spent as much of their free time in there as possible so it could belong to either of them), the fingerprints on the glass doors, the trash cans overflowing, are evidence of memories made and upon reflection, bring a smile to my face.


Josh and Christina

Brett and Jen


Spencer and Jill


Ben and Stephanie

Christian and NicoleBarry and CathyHere are some random pictures. For Christmas I made Logan and Jozalyn a "Sunday Book" that was loaded with pictures of them so them could be kept occupied during church. As you can see from the following pictures, Jozalyn was pretty taken with herself!!Avery received a camera from Santa and was quite engrossed in taking pictures. She was not easily distracted.


Brett decided to teach his kids to scowl, much to their mother's dismay. Actually, Joz got so she could scowl on demand. We all thought it was adorable, hope she breaks the habit before 1st grade, though.

Nicole has really missed her nieces and nephews. She loved them every chance she got.

Here's little Logan. Believe me, he is enjoying having teeth and all the joys that come with his favorite pastime...EATING.

They ain't heavy...they's my family


Here's some pictures of our day at the Ice Rink:



I really treasured this time together. What a joy these "littles" are to me.

6 comments:

Judy said...

I am so envious to see you will all your family around you for Christmas. That would have been the best Christmas present of a lifetime. Sarah Grace has learned how to scowl too - must be the age! So cute!

HappyHulets said...

Oh everything was so great, so good to be home for the holidays! Thank you for everything! We love and miss you! Such cute pictures!

Nicole said...

That was such a wonderful time! I love all the pictures. The one of Ben holding Avery upside down and she still is taking a picture makes me laugh! And Jozalyn was soooo excited about the Sunday Book. That was adorable. Love you and miss you tons!

Jill said...

Very nice mom. Love the pictures and love the sentiments. After the day I have had, I just realize that family is the most important thing ever. Glad that we have such a wonderful one.

tegner two said...

can you get any better than all of that?! i think not...what a special holiday...love you dearly

Darcee said...

It's so special when the whole family can be together. I know those times are few and far between now. Beautiful grandkids!