Sunday, April 5, 2009

Another day at the 'ol grind

Last month I was asked to teach a Stake class on how to make bread. No problem, really, I've made bread for years. How hard could it be. So I stood up in front of a packed classroom, turned on the charm, made a beautiful batch of dough and then declared with confidence "It's just that easy. I promise if you follow the demonstrated steps YOU TOO can have terrific results" One lady in the front raises her and and says"Uh mm, I'm confused, when do you put in the yeast?" Yikes, now that's embarrassing. I said "Ah, how about now" and I grabbed the container of yeast and sprinkled some on top the dough. So I admit to being a bit cocky at times and okay, so I get the part about God teaching us to be humble, but if I have to look like I don't know what I'm doing, Let it be a class about balancing the checkbook...not bread making. I'm FABULOUS in that area. (oops, I guess humility is going to take awhile still) As a result of attending the class some of the ladies from my ward asked for a private lesson, so they came over to my house and we donned aprons (as if I need an apron...darn, humble, remember humble)

We ground up some flour from my MONTANA WHEAT (love that stuff) Here we are in the kitchen. One of the sisters was given a Bosch Mixer 2 years ago and had never used it so she was excited to go home and get it out of the box.

Below is a picture of my buddy Vanessa. She has a magic ingredient. She puts so much LOVE into it, that who cares how it tastes!! Honestly, she is the greatest!!
This is Kristen, one of my most enthusiastic students. She was so excited to acquire this new skill and her enthusiasm was catching!!This is the other Kristen and Rachel. They were enjoying learning this new skill so they could show off to their husbands. They were a lot of fun to teach.
Though there was plenty of sweetness with the combination sisters, we still needed to add some to the bread because this time I remembered the yeast.

Luckily, for my reputation the bread turned out great. (As if there could have been any other result! ...I mean...um, I'm so glad my students did so well)
This is my friend Donna. It was sooo much fun to teach her because she came determined to not leave my house until she got it right. (little worried when she brought her sleeping bag with her! J/K) When she pulled out 4 beautiful loaves from the oven we both almost cried.
Afterwards, we sat outside and had lunch of different kinds of salads and of course, hot bread.


5 comments:

Judy said...

That must have been some of the most fun chaos ever. I love teaching willing students how to cook. Nice save by the way. - Did the demo batch raise after putting the yeast in so late?

HappyHulets said...

And what a great teacher you are! Wish I was there to share! Soon enough.

Cathy said...

Judy, surprisingly it turn out great. One of the ladies couldn't figure out why their bread never turned out. I told her to stop putting boiling water in the dough, bingo, that did the trick.

Darrell said...

I know you well enough to know that you are reminding Barry all the time what a lucky guy he is to have you, but it's true.

teamBoo said...

oh you little sneaker! where was i in all of this secret lesson planning?!?

I suppose i can forgive you for say...a donated loaf of bread?? You can say it...you've got mad skills ;)

what kind of wheat should i be buying by the way?